Laura's Thoughts and Whatnot

You got it, random thoughts and lots of whatnot.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut

I'm a homemaker who dabbles in a variety of arts, including: medieval illumination, sewing, cross-stitch, inkleloom weaving. But I also do a lot of scrapbooking. Lots.

Monday, January 22, 2007

Scribing on my mind

Saturday was an interesting day. Spent it at Aelfgifa's house with Dresden and Kayleigh. The four of us spent the afternoon and evening talking and discussing and playing with things "scribal". Is that even a word? Okay we talked about illumination. :-) Aelfgifa pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me d-r-a-w. With a really big pencil. No eraser. And timed me. Yes, you read it right, timed me. Yikes! The good news? I was actually able to draw something that looked like a woman sitting. Even played with painting the folds correctly. And we talked about how to "outline" an area where there is no outline. Even did some practice pieces. I definitely came away with some new ideas. Including how to create a blue in the Luttrell that has always dumbfounded me (the answer is indigo blue and white). All in all a very productive day and I look forward to doing it again. :-) Of course now I can't wait to get together with Eilis to work on some of what I learned with her. :-)

Sunday we took Aly back to school. She was very nervous about her new roommate. We got her all settled in, had some excitement when the fire alarm went off and we had to leave the building. No fire, just someone who burnt bacon and it set off the alarms. Of course we had to take a trip to WalMart for a longer piece of cable (Aly took her tv this semester) and some other odds and ends. Today she calls because she forgot the yoga mat and needs other supplies for her yoga class. So on Wednesday I'll be driving to visit her at lunch time. :-)

Later on Sunday I spent the afternoon at Selena's while Chris went to the regional fight practice. I had an enjoyable afternoon. :-) Learned about fingerbraiding. Watched part of a football game. That means I've seen parts of two games this season. Oh no. Could I be starting to *gasp* watch football again? Nah, just weird occurences. :-)

Tomorrow I'll finish up my scroll for Estrella, plus go shopping so that I can make Max's squire's belt. :-) Shopping is always a good thing.

Well, I'm going to check on that scroll, maybe doa little bit more then go read my book. I'm reading one of my old "friends". Some people call them confort books. You know, that book, or series that you just love and re-read every year. For me, that is Pern books. It is my all-time favorite series. Ever. And one of my favorite books of Pern is Dragonsdawn. *sigh* The ship is nearly empty and Sorka has had Duke for a week. Yeah, I'm a book addict.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aly is doing yoga? That's awesome - I was just introduced to yoga myself, in California last term. I love it! Made it easy to buy me presents for Christmas this year, too.

Speaking of favourite book series - I'm into the 6th book of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (another Christmas gift). Outlander is still my favourite - that's where Jamie was at his best - but I still enjoy the story and the characters. Have you read any of them?

3:24 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I've never read that series. I just might have to try it. :-)

L

P.S. I really hope that Aly likes the yoga and it's something she will continue to do after the class is over. :-)

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should read Outlander at least. It looks like a lot to get through (somewhere around 600 pages) - but it's a fast read, I promise. I'm sure you won't be disappointed, especially in James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser. Ach, sigh.

The Red Tent is another good read I've picked up lately.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home