Laura's Thoughts and Whatnot

You got it, random thoughts and lots of whatnot.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut

I'm a homemaker who dabbles in a variety of arts, including: medieval illumination, sewing, cross-stitch, inkleloom weaving. But I also do a lot of scrapbooking. Lots.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

No Clodagh for me :-( ..........

Yesterday I received my letter rejecting the name Clodagh to be registered in the SCA. That totally sucks. There is so little proof of feminine names in Ireland. Makes it hard to pick a name. Clodagh is the name of a river in Ireland, since at least the 12th century, but no way of proving that women used that name before the 19th century. A great big giant UGH.

However, when I was picking Clodagh as a name, I had also picked Saorla and was going to use Clodagh Saorla inghean Cinneide as my name. Then discovered that double naming was not in use in Ireland. So, I dropped the Saorla. Well, it looks like I'm going to pick it back up. I'm going to re-submit my name as Saorla inghean Cinneide (although the spelling might end be Saerlaith). Then I will be known as Lady Saorla inghean Cinneide, called Clodagh. :-) Saorla is pronounced Ser-la. And want to know the stupid part of the heralds rejecting my name? Is that they stopped my device as well. The way it's supposed to work is that if the name fails, they use a holding name to keep the device going. It could have been something simple like, Laura of Barony Beyond the Mountain. Especially since Laura is a period name and that's the Barony I live in. Oh well. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from the Mural Herald about my next step.

So that was my disappointment yesterday. I still have this dratted cough. Not fun or pleasant. However I have finally started working on my scroll for Estrella War. lol It's inked/penciled in, calligraphy done, and the permacoll put down for the gold. And today I'm going to a Blood, Sweat & Tears Workshop at Aelfgifa's house. I still need to get my stuff gathered up for that and make a cheese platter to bring. I might just cheat and go to Stop & Shop and pick up something. :-)

Today is my sweetheart's birthday. He's 44 years old. That just dumbfounds me. He doesn't seem that old. I don't feel 38 years old either. lol Anyhow, Chris is going to come over to Aelfgifa's house this evening to join us for dinner. Guess I'll pick him up something chocolatey when I go to Stop & Shop. :-) If I wasn't so lazy when it comes to baking, I would've made him a chocolate torte. :-P

Well, I better get back to getting ready for today's adventure. :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the Clodagh thing.

Happy Birthday to your mister from wife #3.

I hope you have fun today. I can't wait to hear how it goes! :)

Heather

12:48 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Hey Laura,
Sorry about your name =( hang in there...it should go through this time *keeping fingers crossed for you*

Tell Chris I said Happy Birthday =)

Hope that cough gets better soon...

Hugs,
Gina

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home